Friday, October 3, 2014

Important AAA Letter

If you haven't already, be sure to take a look at this message from the President of the American Academy of Actuaries in response to the recent Society of Actuaries email sent to all credentialed Property & Casualty actuaries. In short, the SOA's claim that the FSA credential would somehow make it easier for an actuary to change practice areas is spurious.

I haven't said too much on this conflict to date. I see a lot of CAS Fellows who come across as tribalist in their defense of the FCAS credential and of the Society generally. I'm not a Fellow, so I don't have that attitude, nor do I approve of it. Despite that, all of the SOA actions I've been aware of since this conflict started, from the SOA offering a P&C credential, to this reciprocity proposal, to the withholding of email lists from the CAS, to the bizarre attempt to use CAS textbooks for competing SOA exams, to the application to the NAIC before any SOA P&C exams even existed yet, have been contrary to the best interests of the profession, in my estimation.

My employer, Aon, and many others have taken a stand against the SOA's attempt to subvert the CAS (and arguably the profession more broadly, given the AAA's public statements). I gladly add myself to the list. Perhaps the aims are noble, and perhaps the SOA could offer a superior credentialing process. But these means don't justify those ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment